If you think protein shakes are the only way to get your daily dose of protein, think again!
This delicious ice cream recipe is perfect for bodybuilders and fitness enthusiasts who want a quick and easy way to get their protein fix. Made with just four simple ingredients, this recipe is sure to become a staple in your post-workout routine.
This ice cream recipe supports muscle building because it’s high in protein, thanks to the addition of protein powder. Another great thing about this recipe is that it can be easily customized to fit your dietary needs.
Want our complete list of healthy desserts? Check out our 50 Protein Powder Dessert Recipes
Macro Breakdown & Calories
- 230 Calories
- Carbohydrate: 40 g
- Protein: 16 g
- Fat: 3.7 g
As most bodybuilders know, protein is essential for muscle growth and repair.
This recipe contains 26 grams of protein per serving, making it a great way to fuel your muscles after a workout.
Bananas are a great source of carbs, which are necessary for energy production.
Almond milk is a good source of healthy fats, which are essential for maintaining hormone levels and reducing inflammation.
- Related Article: Can You Eat Ice Cream On A High Protein Diet?
- Banana: The star of this recipe, bananas are high in potassium, fiber, and vitamin C. They also contain a high amount of sugar and carbohydrates, making them the perfect ingredient for an energy-boosting ice cream.
- Protein Powder: Protein powder is a great way to add muscle-building protein to your diet. Choose a protein powder that fits your dietary needs and add it to this recipe for an extra boost of protein.
- Almond Milk: Almond milk is a low-calorie alternative to cow’s milk that is high in calcium and vitamin E. It’s the perfect base for this recipe as it provides a creamy texture without all the calories.
- Cocoa Powder: Cocoa powder is rich in antioxidants and has been shown to improve heart health. It also adds a delicious chocolate flavor to this recipe.
- Toppings: To really take this recipe to the next level, top it off with your favorite toppings. Try shredded coconut, chopped nuts, or chocolate chips for a tasty treat.
Related Article: Can You Mix Whey Protein With Ice Cream?
How To Make Protein Ice Cream Recipe For Bodybuilding
Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. You can also use a food processor here, I find that they actually work a bit better than blenders for ice cream dishes. If you need, add more almond milk to soften the mixture.
Pour into a bowl and top with your favorite toppings. You can either sprinkle them on top or gently mix them in.
Place in the fridge and chill for at least 1-2 hours. If you leave it in there overnight, you may need to leave the container in the fridge to thaw for 1-2 hours before serving as it can get pretty hard.
Higher Calorie For Bulking
If you’re looking for a high-calorie version of this recipe, add in 1/4 cup of peanut butter or two scoops of ice cream. This will add additional fat and calories to the recipe. You can also add in a high-calorie topping like chocolate chips or chopped nuts.
- Related Article: 6 Best Ice Cream For Bulking
Low Calorie For Cutting
For a lower calorie version of this recipe, use skim milk or water instead of almond milk. You can also omit the toppings altogether or use a low-calorie topping like fruit.
You can make adjustments to this recipe for a few personalizations.
For a low carb version, omit the banana and use a high protein, low carb topping like nuts or seeds.
If you want to change the flavor, use a different flavor of protein powder of swap the cocoa powder for vanilla extract or even 1 tsp of cinnamon.
You can also add other frozen fruits to the mix to add different flavors.
How To Store & Meal Prep:
This recipe can be meal prepped and stored in the freezer for up to 2 months. If you’re meal prepping, make sure to portion out the ice cream into individual containers so you can thaw and enjoy as needed.
To store, place the ice cream in a freezer-safe container and store in the freezer for up to 2 months. When you’re ready to eat, let the ice cream thaw for 1-2 hours on the counter or overnight in the fridge.
You can also place it in the microwave for a few seconds to soften it up. Enjoy!
Other Ice Cream Recipes
- Protein Ice Cream With Xanthan Gum
- Protein Ice Cream Sandwich
- Healthy Homemade Ice Cream Made With Ice Cream Maker
Protein Ice Cream Recipe For Bodybuilding
- Total Time: 2 hours and 5 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
This easy protein ice cream recipe is perfect for bodybuilders and fitness enthusiasts alike! With just a few simple ingredients, you can whip up a batch of this creamy goodness in no time.
- 2 bananas, sliced and frozen
- 1 scoop high-quality vanilla protein powder
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon each cocoa nibs and unsweetened coconut flakes (or any other topping of your choosing)
1. Place all ingredients except for toppings in a blender and blend until smooth
2. Pour into a container and add toppings
3. Chill for at least 1-2 hours and enjoy!
Store in the freezer for up to 2 months, thaw leftovers in the fridge for 1 hour before serving.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours (chill time)
- Category: Post-workout
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: Bodybuilding Meals
- Calories: 230 kcal
- Fat: 3.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 40 g
- Protein: 16 g
About The Author
Kelsey Butler is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist with a Master’s in Nutrition Sciences. She is an expert in nutrition research, coaching, content creation, and recipe development. Kelsey takes a mindful approach towards health and values building relationships with all foods. She understands the importance of providing recipes that anyone can enjoy, no matter their dietary needs. When she’s not focusing on nutrition, Kelsey has a passion for cooking, the outdoors, running, and travel.