Some links in this article are affiliate links, which means we earn from qualifying purchases. Learn more.
What could be better than a delicious ice cream sandwich made with healthy, high-protein cookies? This recipe is sure to become a new favorite!
This protein ice cream sandwich recipe is made with simple, healthy ingredients like protein powder, almond milk, and Greek yogurt.
The ice cream mix only takes a few minutes to prepare and then it’s just a matter of waiting for it to freeze before assembling the sandwiches.
And these sandwiches are not only good for you, but they’re also super tasty!
Macro Breakdown & Calories
- 322 Calories
- Carbohydrates: 25 g
- Protein: 36 g
- Fat: 9 g
Each of the ingredients in this healthy dessert has supportive benefits to help you reach your health goals.
Protein powder is a great source of protein and can help to build and repair muscle tissue.
Almond milk is a good alternative to cow’s milk and is lower in calories. It’s also a good source of vitamin E which is an antioxidant that can help to protect cells from damage.
Depending on the high-protein cookie that you choose, you can pack in some extra fiber, healthy fats, vitamins, and of course, protein.
Related Article: Is Ice Cream Good or Bad For Bodybuilders?
- Vanilla Protein Powder: Vanilla whey protein powder is used as a great source of protein in this recipe. It can be substituted with other flavors or types (plant-based, collagen, etc) protein powder
- Almond Milk: I use my usual high protein almond milk from Orgain, but it can be substituted with other types of milk depending on your preference.
- Greek Yogurt: I recommend using nonfat plain or unsweetened vanilla Greek yogurt for this recipe.
- Vanilla Extract: Vanilla extract adds a little more flavor to this recipe, but if you don’t have any on hand, you can substitute it with other flavors like almond extract or peppermint extract.
- Protein Cookies: I used these high-protein cookies from my local supermarket, but you can use any type of high-protein cookie that you like. Just make sure it’s low in added sugar and has at least 7 g of protein per cookie. You can usually find them in the health food aisle at your local grocery store.
Related Article: Can You Cook With Protein Powder?
How To Make Protein Ice Cream Sandwich
Add the protein powder, almond milk, and Greek yogurt to a blender and blend until smooth.
Pour the mixture into a container and place in the freezer for at least 3 hours. If you leave it in overnight, you may want to let the mixture thaw for 30 minutes to an hour before scooping.
Once the mixture is frozen, scoop it into balls and place it between two cookies.
Related Article: Can You Mix Whey Protein With Ice Cream?
For higher calories
If you’re looking to increase the calories in this recipe, you can do so by adding more protein powder or using higher-fat milk like whole milk (or try one of these high fat calorie milk alternatives).
You could also add some nut butter or chocolate chips to the mixture before freezing.
Related Article: 6 Best Ice Cream For Bulking (And, The 3 Worst)
For lower calories
To reduce calories, you can use one protein cookie and make a half sandwich by splitting it or have an “open-faced” ice cream sandwich. You can also ensure that you use nonfat Greek yogurt.
If you want to make these ice cream sandwiches even more fun, try adding some sprinkles or chocolate chips to the mixture before freezing.
You could also use different flavors of protein powder or cookies to mix things up. And if you’re feeling really adventurous, you could try making your own protein cookies!
Related Article: 21 Lowest Calorie Desserts At Diary Queen
How To Store & Meal Prep:
These ice cream sandwiches can be stored in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.
I recommend individually wrapping them in plastic wrap or wax paper so that they don’t stick together.
And if you’re meal prepping, these make a great grab-and-go snack or dessert.
Other High Protein Desserts and Recipes
- Ice Cream Protein Shake
- Low Calorie, High-Protein Ice Cream Recipe
- Protein Ice Cream Recipe For Bodybuilders
- Protein Oreos (High Protein & Only 180 Calories)
- High Protein Cauliflower Donut (Keto & Low Carb Friendly)
- Healthy Homemade Ice Cream Made With Ice Cream Maker
- Simple Microwave Protein Brownie
- Healthy Protein Cookie Dough
- High-Protein Cheesecake
About The Author
Kelsey Butler is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist with a Master’s in Nutrition Sciences. She is an expert in nutrition research, coaching, content creation, and recipe development. Kelsey takes a mindful approach towards health and values building relationships with all foods. She understands the importance of providing recipes that anyone can enjoy, no matter their dietary needs. When she’s not focusing on nutrition, Kelsey has a passion for cooking, the outdoors, running, and travel.