Some links in this article are affiliate links, which means we earn from qualifying purchases. Learn more.
MCT oil and collagen have surged in popularity amongst the fitness community due to their promoted benefits, which might have you wondering whether you’re able to combine them for greater results.
Can you take MCT oil & collagen together? You are able to take MCT oil and collagen together, in fact, as a duo these supplements complement each other well. They provide a more balanced supplement snack giving you a serving of protein and fat, can be effective in suppressing hunger cravings, and help you feel fuller for longer.
With that said, there are still important considerations around when and how you mix your MCT oil and collagen supplements, depending on your individual goals and circumstances.
In this article you’ll learn about:
- The benefits of mixing MCT oil with collagen
- The drawbacks of mixing MCT oil with collagen
- How to mix MCT oil with collagen
- Best time to consume MCT oil with collagen
- Who should and shouldn’t mix MCT oil with collagen
- MCT oil and collagen supplement recommendations
Benefits of Mixing MCT Oil With Collagen
- A more balance supplement
- Assist in suppressing appetite
- Help you feel fuller for longer
- Minimise spikes in blood sugar sugar levels
A More Balance Supplement
Collagen is a type of protein and by consuming it with MCT oil, you are providing your body with a serving of protein and fat together.
This a more balanced than just consuming them independently, because you are hitting two important macronutrient groups at the same time.
Assist in Suppressing Appetite
Using MCT oil and collagen together may assist in suppressing your appetite.
MCT oil is known to suppress your appetite, mixed with a collagen supplement, which provides a serving of protein, creating a sense of fullness. In addition, research has found collagen supplements to also assist in appetite suppression.
So taking these supplements together can help prevent you from overconsuming calories because you aren’t feeling hungry all the time, which will complement a fat loss goal nicely.
Help You Feel Fuller for Longer
Protein takes the longest for the body to digest and because of that, you are often left feeling fuller for longer.
So in instances where you are taking MCT oil, to give your body a boost of quick-release energy, you won’t be left feeling hungry. This is because it’s been coupled with a collagen protein helping you to feel more satiated and full. Studies have found collagen to be 40% more filling than other proteins.
Minimise Spikes in Blood Sugar Sugar Levels
MCT oils are quickly absorbed by the body allowing them to be used as energy.
WIth MCTs being a fat source the body will use as energy in the absence of carbs, it can help limit spikes in your blood sugar, preventing feelings of fatigue from occurring. Collagen supplements build on this because you’re able to introduce a protein element, which also won’t cause a spike in blood sugar levels.
Should you take MCT Oil? If so, when and how much?
Drawbacks of Mixing MCT Oil With Collagen
Be careful when mixing your MCT oil with collagen as you can experience some side effects, including:
- Digestive impact
- Gastrointestinal upset
- Possible allergic reaction
It can take a while for your body to adjust to using MCT oil, and taking too much too quickly can cause significant distress on your bowels and leave you running to the toilet. This is especially the case if you take MCT oil on an empty stomach.
So, if you have sensitivity to MCT oil intake, introducing another element could have you experiencing similar issues. Manage this by introducing the collagen and MCT oil combo in gradual quarter or half serves and build up to full serves.
Collagen supplements have been known to cause some gastrointestinal discomfort amongst users. This mixed with the digestive impacts of MCT oil could be an uncomfortable combination making you feel unwell, bloated and creating some toilet urgency.
Following dosing recommendations and working up a tolerance when mixing your MCT oil and collagen is a sensible approach. This approach will give your body time to adjust.
Possible Allergic Reaction
Some collagen supplements may cause an allergic reaction. Collagen supplements are derived from animal and fish or shellfish products and depending on the type of collagen supplement you are using, where the collagen comes from may not always be apparent. As a result, some users have experienced allergic reactions when taking collagen.
If you have added collagen to your MCT oil and started experiencing itching, hives, raches, tingling, or swelling in the mouth, be sure to consult your doctor and discontinue use.
Related Article: Can You Mix Whey Protein With Collagen?
How To Mix MCT Oil With Collagen
Depending on your nutritional plan, you may want to try mixing your MCT oil and collagen in:
- Coffees and teas
- Protein pancakes
Most of these options call for a 1:1 ratio of MCT oil to collagen, however, you could adjust these ratios to taste. A typical serving of collagen is around 1 tablespoon, with a serving of MCT also ranging from 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon.
When combining collagen and MCT oil into liquids, consider:
- Mixing it with 6 to 8 ounces of a lighter liquid like coffee or tea; and
- WIth liquids like smoothies or juices, keep to the same serving sizes, you don’t need to increase your collagen or MCT oil serves even though these liquids are a bit more dense.
I’ve also written about mixing MCT oil with protein shakes (click to learn about the pros and cons).
When combining collage and MCT oil into baked goods and snacks:
- Consider how many total serves you are making and add the appropriate amount of MCT oil and collagen to match.
Collagen is typically tasteless and flavorless so will absorb the flavors you mix it with.
Similarly, MCT oil has virtually no smell or taste. This makes both supplements easy to work with when you want to incorporate them – individually or as a combo – into your favorite baked good, snack, or drink.
A quick and popular option is mixing a flavored collagen supplement into your coffee (like a creamer) with your MCT oil, it is a spin on the popular bulletproof coffee making the rounds for those favoring the ketogenic diet.
Related Article: How To Mix Collagen Powder Without Clumping (6 Tips)
MCT Oil & Collagen: Best Time To Consume
The best times to take a combined MCT oil and collagen supplement are:
- First thing in the morning
- Pre training
Taking MCT oil in the morning will help provide you with a burst of energy to start the day, when you are in need of an energy pick me or looking for a snack mid-afternoon. It would also be a good option to utilize before a training session if you’re on a high-fat diet.
The combination of these two supplements work to give you fast energy coming from the MCT oil and the collagen will provide a hit of protein. Together these will help satisfy cravings, provide you with an energy boost and help fuel your workouts.
Who Should Mix MCT Oil With Collagen?
MCT oil and collagen can be a great mix of supplements, particularly:
- If you are cutting and working towards fat loss goals because it assists in keeping you full and suppressing your appetite. This will help you consume fewer calories and maintain a calorie deficit.
- If you are adopting the ketogenic diet, which is high in protein and fat and low in carb. This supplement combination hits the two main components of the diet and would fit nicely as a snack and enhance protein and fat content of meals.
Who SHOULD NOT Mix MCT Oil With Collagen?
While generally safe to use and mix, MCT oil and collagen may not be the most effective mix of supplements where:
- You are practising intermittent fasting, both collagen and MCT oil contain calories and so consuming them during a fasted period would technically break your fast. These would not be supplements you could use if you were feeling hungry or needed an energy boost. However, it may be good to have as you are coming out of a faster period.
- You are susceptible to gastrointestinal issues when introducing new supplements to your diet. The combination may be such that it causes too much stress and limits your body from reaping the benefits.
- You are trying to bulk and gain muscle because these two supplements work to suppress your appetite and eat less which would make eating in a calorie surplus much more difficult.
Top Recommended MCT Oil
If you’re looking to try MCT oil, this is a great option from Bulletproof, providing you with 100% MCT potency per serve, while being organic and sustainably produced.
MCT oil could complement your supplement regime by providing the following benefits:
Top Recommended Collagen
Here’s a reputable collagen supplement to consider if you’d like to try mixing it into your MCT oil. It has no added nasties, with a 7.8 gram serving providing 7 grams of collagen protein. This particular brand is a favorite because it is allergy-friendly, comes in a variety of options, and has received the NSF Sport Certification, which ensures its quality and purity.
Collagen is a worthwhile supplement to consider especially given it has been shown to have the possible following benefits:
- Contribute to improved skin
- Contribute to relieving joint pain
- Help prevent bone breakdown which causes osteoporosis
- Assist in building muscle mass
Let’s get you in the best shape of your life. Sounds good?
The Bottom Line
If you’re looking for a way to elevate your MCT oil use, mixing it with collagen may be your answer. Collagen has great mixability and can be incorporated into a variety of foods, snacks and drinks as a compliment to your MCT oil.
Other MCT Oil Resources
- Can Too Much MCT Oil Make You Fat?
- Can I Take MCT Oil At Night?
- Can You Mix MCT Oil With Apple Cider Vinegar?
- Can You Use MCT Oil If Not On Keto Diet? (Yes, Here’s Why)
- Does MCT Oil Cause Bloating, Gas, & Constipation?
- Does MCT Oil Cause Headaches? (What The Science Says)
- MCT Oil vs Powder: Pros, Cons, & Which Should You Take?
- Top 5 MCT Oil Alternatives (That Have Similar Results)
- MCT Oil vs Omega 3: Pros, Cons, & Do You Need To Take Both?
What Else Can You Mix Collagen With?
- Can You Mix Collagen Powder With Milk? (Pros & Cons)
- Can You Mix Collagen Powder With Orange Juice? (Pros & Cons)
- Can You Mix Collagen Powder With Yogurt? (Pros & Cons)
- Can You Mix Collagen Powder With Soda? (Pros & Cons)
- Can You Mix Collagen Powder With Gatorade? (Pros & Cons)
- Can You Mix Collagen Powder With Eggs? (Pros & Cons)
About The Author
Steph Catalucci | Nutrition Coach
@macronutritionau | macro-nutrition.com.au
Steph Catalucci is an online nutrition coach from Australia, working with clients all over the world. Her passion for nutrition was born through wanting to treat her body better, for health and performance. She is a strong advocate for understanding nutrition to develop informed nutritional habits that go beyond just food. Steph leverages a decade of her own nutritional experience to help people make sense of the noise and carve a path forward with their nutrition, supporting clients with whatever body composition goal they have. When not coaching or writing, you’ll find her training for her next powerlifting competition.